Figuring out how to manage curly hair may feel like a complex and overwhelming task, but it is worth starting a healthy hair regime. There’s no better time to start than now. I’m talking about making your life easier especially in such unpredictable weather conditions. The weather can change at any time. Rain, Snow, Winds, Cold, Warm, Freezing (and it could change all through the day, at least that’s the way it is in Manchester), these conditions play havoc with any hair, curly, wavy or straight.
Should I comb my curly hair, brush or finger comb my curls? Do I comb dry or wet? How often do I wash? Why does my hair tangle? So many questions. Unfortunately, there is no one answer because of the varied nature of curly hair. From loose spiral curls to kinky curly Afro hair, different curl types, require different styling and maintenance routines. There is a lot of conflicting advice out there. I would like to share what I have learnt from my experience and studies over the years with you.
1. Moisture Is Key: The most important factor in having healthy, manageable curly hair is moisture. The moisturising process starts with the shampoo you use and continues to the conditioner and leave_in products. It will add much-needed hydration to naturally curly hair or colour treated hair. Use a moisturizing shampoo or one for extremely dry and damaged hair. Even if you feel that your hair isn’t really damaged (I’ll talk more about that more in a future post). Next, use a moisturizing conditioner or one for dry damaged hair, follow with a liquid leave-in conditioner (I like to use one that has detangling properties), then a leave-in cream (also with detangling properties). The right combination of shampoo, conditioner and moisturizing products tames frizzy, kinky hair and makes hair soft or softer to the touch. When your hair remains soft and manageable, you don’t need to detangle as much.
2. Detangle: When you see curls, most times, tangles are not far behind. You need to know what tools work better for your hair. Basically, you need to have a wide tooth comb or a detangling brush. Curly hair especially Afro hair can be quite fragile, please be careful when combing or brushing it. Always detangle your hair in sections, starting from the top to slowly comb and finish at the roots. Having a good assortment of detangling products that help to soften hair i.e a water-based detangler. It is good to have one that can also add much-needed nutrients to the hair.
3. Keep Hair Clean: One of the biggest mistakes people make is shampooing too often or not often enough. This is particularly true for people (including parents or carers of children and vulnerable elders) who aren’t familiar with caring for Afro Curly or multi-ethnic hair. When you wash your hair can be Between once a week to once every 3 weeks. If your hair is in a protective hairstyle then it can be longer before you wash. The important thing is that you pay attention to your hair and scalp making sure there is minimal oil loss from excessive washing. Also, make sure hair is not getting dry from too much washing and adjust accordingly. When you wash also depends on your hair and the condition of your scalp. To refresh hair, spray with water and apply a leave-in conditioner.
Beautiful curly coloured hair
4. Use quality styling products: If you have frizzy hair or dry ends, you are might be using products that will dry out hair like setting lotions, holding sprays and hard styling gels. The moisture lost by such products is important to keep hair healthy and manageable. To keep the frizz and dryness at bay in curly hair, use moisturizers and products that contain quality ingredients and natural products. Avoid products with alcohol and silicones when possible.
5. Stay away from heat: Keep away from hair dryers and straightening your curly hair when you can. Heat can be damaging to chemically treated, curly or even fine hair if it isn’t properly managed. It can strip away the hairs natural oils and moisture. Allow your hair air dry when you can.
With some patience and trial and error to find what combination of products and methods work for you. I hope these tips will make it easier to manage your hair.
Please let me know what you think in the comments.
These are some of the products I recommend
Hydrating Detangling Shampoo – Get it @ https://amzn.to/2qUzFYl
Hydrating Detangling Conditioner – Get it @ https://amzn.to/2Jnk0b2
Conditioner, Shampoo And Leave In – Get it @ https://amzn.to/2Ho4X4g